No Comments on And the Oscar for Best Product Placement Goes to……
The Oscars is more than just the movie industries’ biggest awards show – it is an icon of American culture, a fashion show, a celebrity love-fest, and increasingly an interactive social media event and marketing bonanza rivaling the significance of the Super Bowl.
Everyone has by now heard about (if not themselves retweeted) Ellen DeGeneres’ Oscar selfie, breaking the previous record for retweets held by President Barack Obama by more than two million retweets, and crashing Twitter in the process. This was a genius move of product placement/social media integration by Samsung, as a major sponsor of the Oscars and the device on which said record breaking selfie was taken.
Even more important for brands, marketers, and a world that is obsessed with growth and user engagement, is the fact that Oscar related tweets more than doubled from 6.8 million tweets in 2013 to 14.7 million tweets in 2014. This is while Super Bowl related tweets, while still greater in number, have leveled off over the same time frame.
It will be interesting to watch the growth of the significance of the Oscars for marketers and to see what innovative and integrated omni-channel strategies they come up with next! In the meantime, check out this NY Times article – Selfies, Pizza and Promoting Brands at the Oscars – for an overview of the best adapted screenplay, cinematography, costumes, live-action short, and song from the commercials of the Academy Awards.
- GET TO KNOW W5 – QUESTIONNAIRE ( May 15, 2018 )
- The Latest Industry to Ride the Subscription Model Trend: Auto ( May 11, 2018 )
- SPOTLIGHT: VIDEO ETHNOGRAPHY, Bringing Consumers into Focus ( May 9, 2018 )
- Celebrating Cinco De Mayo ( May 7, 2018 )
- Spotlight: Consumer Journeys, It’s Okay to Ask for Directions ( April 12, 2018 )
- Trouble in Toyland ( March 23, 2018 )
- Mindset List for the Class of 2021 ( March 22, 2018 )
- You Go Girl ( March 8, 2018 )
- GET TO KNOW W5 – QUESTIONNAIRE ( January 22, 2018 )
- Focusing in on Focus Groups ( January 15, 2018 )
- Data Visualization
- Data Visualization Infographics
- emerging technology
- market research
- social networking
- web innovation
Alltop – Market Research
Designing for Humans
The Green Book Blog
Harvard Business Review
Herd – Mark Earls
Joel Rubison on Marketing Research
The LoveStats Blog
Pew Research Center
Smart Mobs – Howard Rheingold
The Survey Geek
Vovici Listening Post