3 Comments on Battle of the O/Ss
Google has dabbled into quite a few different areas of technology. They began as a search engine and evolved into so much more. They are currently the most popular place to search for information and gMail could be considered the most popular email system. Outside of those two areas Google has also developed a platform for mobile phones known as Android that has been widely successful since its inception.
They are now ready to take it a step further. Last week, Google announced it will be entering the world of computer operating systems. In a world where two O/S (Windows and Mac O/S) dominate the rest, can Google compete? Those two operating systems have dominated the market for many years, but have never been seriously challenged. Can Google create a platform that will be a true threat to the other two?
When it comes to an operating system, stability is the most important benchmark. Everyone wants it to “just work”. Google is going to have a huge mountain to climb in terms of developing a stable platform. The other two competitors have been in the market for years and have been able to tweak their systems to the best of their ability while Google will be starting from scratch. I think it will be a unique experience to be able to explore an new O/S as this opportunity does not come around too often. Google always has a unique twist that it puts on its products, soon enough we’ll see how that is incorporated into Chrome.
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds as Google has been widely successful in almost everything they have ventured into. It seems as if they have been carrying around the Midas Touch in their back pocket. I guess only time will tell how well the Google “Chrome O/S” will do.
Check the link for the official Google press release. Googleblog
- 4A’s StratFest Themes: Storytelling, Connection, Inclusivity ( September 21, 2021 )
- Find What Works For You: Tips for Managing Stress and Anxiety ( September 10, 2021 )
- Video: Strategic Tracking 101 ( August 26, 2021 )
- Generations: Keeping Us Together or Pulling Us Apart? ( June 17, 2021 )
- Happy Holidays! ( December 22, 2020 )
- Inbox Love in the Time of Corona ( April 3, 2020 )
- Where we fit: The Gig Economy ( August 2, 2019 )
- Selecting the Right Research Partner ( June 13, 2019 )
- Celebrating 17: The Privilege of Independence ( May 31, 2019 )
- Spotlight: A&U to Drive Brand Growth ( May 15, 2019 )
- Data Visualization
- Data Visualization Infographics
- emerging technology
- Gen Z
- market research
- product innovation
- social networking
- web innovation